Friday, March 8, 2013

Little Mr or Little Miss?

Next week should be an exciting week for our house - we will find out the sex of Bean 2.0! As many of you know, we did not find out the sex with our first child so this is a whole new experience. The anticipation is building...will this baby be another boy or a girl? We shall see!

The comments and assumptions of society re: gender have been a bit surprising to me. One, that we automatically want a girl. (Honestly, we would love to have a daughter so that we could experience parenting both sexes but I know many parents who prefer one sex over the other or simply have no preference at all.) Two, if you have a boy, at least he can be close to A. Huh? My husband and his sister, who is one year older than him, were very close growing up. Likewise, I know many sets of siblings who are close in age but not close at all, even if both are the same sex. I tend to think that closeness is dictated by personality versus gender. Three, if you have a girl, she will be super-girly and decked out in pink all the time. Honestly, I hope not. I can't imagine encouraging a daughter that she is a "princess" and should only wear pink. But again, I tend to think that kids are who they are. Just today, I watched A run around outside wearing his bike helmet like it was a fashion statement. I would never encourage that one but hey, safety first, right?? 

2 comments:

  1. I think people's comments can be TOTALLY crazy, but they are mostly influenced by their own experiences. I've said a million times this pregnancy that I'd be happy with either a girl or a boy, but I think J would like having a brother -- because I only had a sister and we are super close, while my husband and his sister are not. So there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think people's opinions are formed by their own personal experiences. Sort of how I felt strongly about not having an only child since I was an only child for 8 years.

    ReplyDelete