Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sacrifice

I've spent a lot of time thinking and praying about what I should give up for Lent this year. I'm a Methodist and giving something up isn't actually required but I always like to do so anyway. In my experience, fasting from something is always good for me and is a good spiritual exercise as well. Last year, I didn't give anything up because I was pregnant and felt that I'd already given everything up (wine, beer, sleep, caffeine, comfort, etc). (And he was worth every sacrifice I made, trust me.) I was beginning to think I might not be giving anything up this year either, but then it came to me last night - I'm going to give up buying anything that isn't necessary.

This is certainly an odd sacrifice but I feel it's the one I'm being called to make. Since I'm staying home with A now, I need to back a bit. I'm very focused on this in some areas but I still find myself making small, frivolous purchases. Recent ones include snap pliers (for several craft projects I have), a glass water bottle, a book for my Kindle, an extra pair of jeans and some cloth diapers I found for a steal of a deal. Now, none of these are crazy expenditures and the total of all of them was about $100. But that's not the point. I don't NEED any of them. I need very little and so many people in our world have very little. Hopefully this exercise will make me more aware and more wise by Easter. This blog will serve as my accountability tool. This should be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think this is an "odd" sacrifice at all! I think it is meaningful as it relates to your personal values and challenging in the face of our senselessly consumerist culture. I would be interested in hearing about what you define as necessities vs frivolities, what is the most difficult to give up, and what permanent changes arise from this experience! Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm defining necessities as food, toiletries and our current bills. Just no "extras" (ie new clothes, decor, baby items, etc). We'll also still go out for our usual meals out of the house. I'm hopeful for permanent change too!

    ReplyDelete