Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How green are you?

I've always thought of myself as a little "crunchy". You know, just little bit hippie but not too far down the spectrum. Now, I'm finding myself questioning how far I want to go on the crunchy path. Many of my friends purchase some organic foods but most don't think about the hazards in their daily life, from their moisturizer to their Clorox wipes.  I cloth diaper my baby and most fellow Springfieldians look at me like I have three heads when this subject is raised. Yet, I've met different women online who use family cloth (like reusable toilet paper) and Diva Cups (click here if you really want to know, brave soul). These things are a bit much for me, but I say good for these folks for their commitment to re-use; I'm just not quite that dedicated.

Part of my motivation recently has been spurred by a book I've been reading at the suggestion of a friend. Healthy Child, Healthy World: Creating a Greener, Safer Home discusses some of the common household hazards most of us encounter on a daily basis and what we can do to create a healthier home. It's an excellent book that I would recommend any parent or expectant parent read. It's interesting for non-parents as well, although much of the focus is on making your home safer for pregnancy and children. I also read various crunchy blogs and see ideas and contemplate a bit. All of these things are making me think about where I fall along the the crunchy line. Now, one can obviously drive themselves crazy worrying about everything all around them. But being the frugal mama that I am, I am also up for doing things that will save money and be easier.  So, I'm currently pondering what I can do myself that would be healthier for my family and easier. What could you change that would improve your family's health and save you a little cash each year? Or what could you do that would have a positive environmental impact?

I hope to write future posts on a few of the things we're currently doing in our home and will try in the coming weeks/months.  What are you currently doing in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment